By Dr. Kathleen Regan, ND
I am a huge fan of herbal medicine. And sometimes I like to have a little fun with special herbs! With Valentine’s Day around the corner I thought we might spice up your evening with a homemade remedy. This natural aphrodisiac is tasty and easy to prepare ahead of date night. Adapted by one of my favourite herbalists, Rosemary Gladstar in her Family Herbal book.
The main medicinal ingredient is ‘Damiana’, a herb known to relieve anxiety, improve libido and treat erectile dysfunction or even female impotence.
- 1 Ounce of Damiana Leaves
- 2 Cups of Brandy
- 1.5 Cups of Spring Water
- 1 Cup of Honey
- Vanilla Extract
- Almond Extract
- Rose Water
- Chocolate Syrup
1. Soak the damiana leaves in brandy for 5 days. In Toronto, you can find a great source of bulk Damiana leaves down at Herbies Herbs. Strain and keep the liquid.
2. Soak the alcohol drenched leaves in spring water for 3 days. Strain and keep the liquid.
3. Over low heat, gentle warm the water extract (from step two) and add maple syrup or honey until it dissolves. Remove the pan from heat and gently stir in the alcohol extract. Pour into a clean glass bottle and add a tsp of vanilla and a touch of rose water.
4. To each cup of the liquor, add 1/2 cup of chocolate syrup, 2-3 drops of almond extract and a bit more rose water.
5. Serve with Chocolate & Strawberries on the side & Enjoy!