By Kerri Lambie Hom, R.H.N
As a nutritionist, I know the nutrient value of avocados. They offer an abundance of vitamin B6, vitamin C, fiber and healthy fats. They contain more potassium than a banana (Yes! True!) and are rich in folate.
Amazingly, avocados can support your health in so many ways:
- Improve antioxidant absorption
- Reduce the risk of heart disease
- Boost your brain health, memory and mood
- Keep your eyes healthy as you age
As a mom and wife I know the versatility of this amazing fruit. Slicing, mashing, freezing, and blending it into all kinds of tasty meals. But above all else, it is the go to vessel for my Sunday Brunch Baked Eggs. We as a family have a tradition of coming together for Sunday breakfast and this is steadily becoming a staple on our menu. This quick meal means the adults are not slaving over the stove cooking and the ease of the prep means the kids can get involved in the process. (Cue the Mother’s Day breakfast in bed!!)
Truly, the hardest part of this whole thing is deciding what to top this decadent meal with. I am vegetarian- my family is not- so we have differing ideas of what that should be.
Whichever you choose, one thing is for sure, this meal packs a one/two punch of nutrition and family time. The perfect gift for mom’s on Mother’s day
Baked egg in avocado
- 2 avocados (Hass are my favourite and the ones most found in the grocery store- the small dark green bumpy ones)
- 4 large eggs- pasture raised organic if possible
- Fresh cracked pepper and Himalayan salt
- 2 chopped heirloom tomatoes
- Large bunch of chopped cilantro
- Firm feta
- Cooked chopped bacon
- Smoked cheddar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- Slice and separate avocados, taking out the pit and scooping a larger space for the egg
- Crack one egg into each avocado (egg white may spill over this is ok, or another option is to crack the egg into a bowl and scoop the yolk in and pour whites in until full
- Cook 20mins depending on stove
- Remove and add tasty toppings
Scoop out 1 -1.5 tablespoons of avocado to create enough room for your eggs. TIP- scoop wide not deep
Use large eggs not extra large, those are too big
Use room temperature avocados
Pair this with your favourite tea or chicory coffee
As Homeopath & Holistic Nutritionist, Kerri offers a natural approach to health. Instead of focusing on one aspect of a person, or taking a one size fits all methodology, she evaluates the complete health history, emotional state, lifestyle choice and diet of the individual to determine the root cause illness..
Please contact Innate Wellness (416) 760-9424, email@example.com to book a consultation.